Friday, March 18, 2011

Change of Plans

So far this year I feel I have played pretty badly. I spent most of last year playing way below my A or B game but this year it felt different. For one, I developped a habit of openshoving any hand at 500s with even mild tilt which is something I didn't do at all last year until the end of December. The only times I feel I have actually played well were vs a few regs that I warred, a few shots at higher stakes and maybe some random games every other week. I am still on pace for all my goals (except binking an mtt which I am starting to believe will never happen) because I had fortunately run really well in sngs after January. Recently, my luck changed and I started not winning anymore and even losing slightly. Because I was running well before, I obviously didn't even think about changing my plans even though I knew it would affect me badly later.

A few days ago I lost a lot of money though. I played bad the whole day, then lost a lot openshoving at 570s and another 2k in flips at 230s. Btw I recommend no one flip with fisfarfar, he just runs way too good :p
















Yes, he did indeed win 13 flips in a row at one point, mbn to be him ^^. Luckily he did not want to flip for 345 or 570 so he saved me some money. Anyways, now that I am no longer running good and need to start playing well to win again I have to ask myself: Why am I playing bad?

The answer is simple, I have too much pressure on me and a bad mindset. After talking with some friends that were having similar problems earlier this year and now resolved them, I have found that my main problem is I have become obsessed with Supernova Elite.

Last year I saw many good players move to stars for sne or already established regs try to go for sne playing midstakes husngs. Many were very capable players and yet a ton of them crumbled under the pressure that sne brought to them. The weird thing is, this shouldn't have happened. Most were very good players, used to playing high volumes of high quality poker. The thing about having sne as a goal playing stakes where it is a grind (so low/midstakes) that affects some(of course not all players, but defintively me) is that you constantly try to play even when you shouldn't, you take unnecessary risks for the sake of vpps, add more tables then you can play, are more likely to flip with other players, and just constantly think about the vpps.

A lot of the players I know that made sne last year with a nice profit on the side were guys that didn't care about sne, it just happened. That is why I am removing sne from my goals (which I actually forgot to put on the list in my previous post even though it was a big one ^^) and do what is best for me financially. This probably means play on other sites then Stars, play some HU cash and just go where the money is. If November comes and I am at 650-700k vpps(which is very likely) then I will definitively grind hard to make sne because at that point it will be my best decision financially, so it is still more liekly then not that I will make sne, but if I don't I don't care. People have to realize that sne is overrated and unlike in stts or full ring games, midstakes Heads up sngs are hard to beat if you don't focus on the game and adjust and instead just focus on the volume, unless you're a real sicko like heybude which most people aren't. There is still plenty of non-rakeback money to be made in heads up poker and that is where you will find me, far from any sort of volume goals.

2 comments: